We're actually implementing something very similar to what Joe is, and
Joe and I did have a conversation off line, but I thought I'd update the
list for archives sake.

There are actually several WebDAV implantations on iSeries. There's a
"native" on in the Apache web server, and subversion also have a WebDAV
interface that supports auto-versioning (thanks Mark).

Our current thinking on the issue, and we're coding it now, is to write
the documents into the IFS when they're created on the iSeries. Then,
we'll pass a reference to the document back to the PC and the PC will
open that document in Word directly from the web server. When the user
clicks save Word will happily save it back to the web server since it's
a WebDAV server.

In our case we start the process from a WebSphere app, and we need to
know if the user has modified the generated document, so we're going to
save the IFS change date when we create the document, and check it when
we try to access the document from the web server. If they're different
we know the user changed the document.

-Walden