For HTML files include this in your Directory Container:

      <FilesMatch "\.html(\..+)?$">
          Options +Includes
          SetOutputFilter Includes
     </FilesMatch>

For CGI include this in your CGI library directory
container:

      Options +ExecCGI +Includes
      SetOutputFilter Includes

I have a full example of an apache config at
www.bvstools.com/faq.html.

This will allow you to search all files ending in .html for
SSI statements.  Some like to use .shtml or another unique
extension for SSI files, but since I use them pretty much
everywhere, I chose not to... just a hassle.  And it won't
slow down processing noticably on pages that don't contain
SSI

Brad
www.bvstools.com