If you're protecting it with basic auth, request.getRemoteUser() will
return the user name they typed in.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Reiher/prairiefarms
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:38 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: [WEB400] Redirect JSP

Matt,

Basically I want to have a Login.jsp like this:
<%
HttpSession  mySession  = request.getSession(false);
// get user_id
String suserID = request.getParameter( "username" );
// put values on the session to send them on screen
mySession.setAttribute("username",suserID);
//mySession.setAttribute("username","Reiher");
//redirect to screen
response.sendRedirect("LoginScreen.jsp?username=" +
mySession.getAttribute("username"));
%>

This sits in a location protected by Basic Auth. using a validation
list.
I was hoping that request.getParameter("username") would grab the
username
entered in the validation list dialog box and I could use it to pass
them
on to the URL. Does that make sense??
Sorry, a little green with java

    Dave Reiher
    System Analyst
    Prairie Farms Dairy - Corporate
    Ph: 217.854.2547 ext. 254
    dreiher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Haas, Matt" <Matt.Haas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/07/2005 09:59 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [WEB400] Redirect JSP

I'm not following what you're doing (I understand what you want to do).
I did a similar thing not too long ago. What I have is:

- A JSP for user name/password entry
- A servlet to process the form. If it passed validation, I do a
redirect to a URL otherwise, I do a forward back to the JSP page to show
error messages.

If you're doing all of this in the JSP, you should have access to a
response object.

One error that I see now that I've taken another look at this is that
request.getRemoteUser() isn't going to return anything (you'll probably
get 'null' returned) unless you password protect the JSP (and servlet if
you're using one) using basic authentication which makes this redundant.

Matt