It is a well known fact that there are way to many lawyers in te USA, and in order to make a living not all of them stick to justice, there are some that will try to make trouble just to get some money.

Nathan Andelin wrote:

Good point, Walden.  Giovanni offered and promoted
CGIDEV2 under an "open source" license at his IBM Web
site, which makes it hard for IBM to sustain an
exclusive claim to it.

On the other hand, Giovanni later indicated that IBM
refused his request to offer an "open source" license
for CGIDEV2, that an IBM attorney is miffed, and that
he was unprepared for an "IBM vs. Giovanni" battle in
court.

Giovanni recently acknowledged IBM's control over
CGIDEV2.  I got the impression that he felt he went
out on a limb by including CGIDEV2 in the open source
license, but no longer had control over his former Web
site, so he couldn't change the wording.

It seems to me that Giovanni and a lot of users are
counting on IBM to release CGIDEV2 under an open
source license.
Who knows what the folks at IBM CTC think?

Nathan.