From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:14 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] RE: CGIDEV2

Bob,

Not sure what myth you are referring to.  We started the company in
2003.  We sell only services, no hardware (obviously, based on my last
post) and no software.  The first year we had a little less than a
million in revenue and this year looks like, perhaps, 2 million.  Small
potatoes, yes.  So perhaps the business won't scale well over time and
the services only orientation will collapse under it's own weight.  I
remember that when we started and the president of the company said we
wouldn't charge for the software and it would be open source: I looked
at him as though he had two heads.  But I am a believer now.

But, without going into all the rationale behind this approach, the best
thing about this "open source" orientation is that we have a user base
that is fully engaged in the the life of the product now.  It is theirs
since they have full access and rights to the source.  So, we are off
the "upgrade treadmill" that a company like Microsoft (and perhaps IBM)
can get on.  The users arbitrate among themselves as to what is
important to them in new development and some of that development is
beginning to be shouldered by them.  They are donating in house code
that benefits the entire community.  The pre-2000 idea that it is the
company's responsibility to plan and develop all the software is
diminishing (much to my relief!) .  So far, I see no downside to this
approach.  But it IS still early and we are small so I guess the future
will tell.

Anyone who thinks that just giving away the software to generate
services revenue will be a viable business model will be disappointed.
However, lowering the cost to the customer, making them part of the
process by giving them source and giving them training and support on
how to use the tools to improve their business, encouraging
collaboration and sharing, THESE approaches are working for us (so far).

It IS 2005 and it is a whole new world, to be sure.

Pete Helgren