Actually, there's really nothing to virtual hosts...

>From my AS/400:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:80>
   DocumentRoot /WebProd/intranet/docs
   UseCanonicalName off
   HostNameLookups off
   AddType application/vnd.ms-excel xls
   AddType application/powerpoint ppt
   AddType application/msword doc
   ErrorLog /www/grimesvr/logs/error_log
   TransferLog /www/grimesvr/logs/access.log
   <Directory /WebProd/intranet/docs>
      order allow,deny
      allow from all
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:8080>
   DocumentRoot /WebQA/intranet/docs
   UseCanonicalName off
   HostNameLookups off
   AddType application/vnd.ms-excel xls
   AddType application/powerpoint ppt
   AddType application/msword doc
   ErrorLog Off
   TransferLog None
   <Directory /WebQA/intranet/docs>
      order allow,deny
      allow from all
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This is an IP based virtual host.  It'll handle all calls to the specified IP
address on the specified port.  The
directives in the container are *mostly* optional.  If called on port 80,
apache serves /WebProd/intranet/docs.  If port
8080, apache serves /WebQA/intranet/docs.

>From my linux server:
#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

#  main server configuration
<VirtualHost *:80>
     DocumentRoot /www/fred.net
     ServerName www.fred.net
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /www/jungleroom.com
    ServerName www.jungleroom.com
</VirtualHost>

These are name-based virtual hosts.  same port but the apache server will serve
/www/fred.net if the request is for
www.fred.net and /www/jungleroom.com for www.jungleroom.com

You can really go crazy with this stuff, but there's the basics....

dan