Chris,

As other have said, you might have more luck on Midrange-l, but since it's
here:

Without knowing the fields and indexes available it's a little hard, but the
where clause is probably going to be a killer. I'll bet there is not index
(logical) keyed on the 5 fields (or even a subset) in your where clause. Can
you get a list of the indexes that are available and maybe tweak your query?
Remember, if the index is keyed by A, B, C, D, E then "where a=? And b=?" is
ok, "where A=? And b=? And c=?" is also good, but "where b=? And c=?" is bad
because the index is useless.

We worked with one client where there was an index keyed by Company,
Division, Customer, Order and customer number is unique across company and
division. The query was "where customer=? And order=?" and ran forever. By
changing it to "where company=? And divison=? And Customer=? And order=?"
the run time droped to sub-second because there was an index to use. Lesson
learned, sometimes adding things to your where clause can increase
performance.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President