From: Tom Jedrzejewicz @ San Pedro [mailto:TJedrzejewicz@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 2:52 PM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Easy400Group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WEB400] Maintaining "Notes" in an application

Folks --

My apologies in advance to those of you who see this on both the Easy400 and
the Web400 lists.

A traditional green screen appication has Notes implemented using a database
file and a fixed length text field, say 60 characters.  The notes are
maintained sequentially for the relevant item (say an order) using a subfile
program.  We are all probably familiar with such a program.

We would like to have a CGI program for adding notes and maintaining some of
the other information.  However, I am in a quandary about how to structure
the notes.  The green screen program need to be able to view the notes
properly after they are added by the CGI program.
--> I could mimic the subfile, and have multiple text input fields.  I don't
like this very much, because it goes against the normal web look and feel.
--> I could have a single text area, and figure out how to break it up into
60 character chunks.  The breaks would need to be like a word-wrap to
properly read on a green-screen.

Hopefully, this is a silly question and there is an easy solution.  Any
thoughts/ideas/code samples would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tjedrzejewicz@xxxxxxxxxxxx

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, downloading,
storing or forwarding of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately via email
and delete the message from your computer files and/or data base.  Thank
you.