Rob wrote:

>I've got an iSeries for web serving.  Let's call
>this WEB.  I've got another system where the data
>resides on.  Let's call this DATA.
>
>With webfacing you can have your WAS and the jsp's
>created by Webfacing on one iSeries, and your HLL
>programs on another.  And your data on one of
>these two, or another machine(s).

Just to clarify, WebFacing won't change the way the RPG program accesses the
data, so if RPG opens a file and does a CHAIN, the RPG and file need to be
on the same machine.  You know this already because of your next sentence,
but some readers may not.

>If we store our HLL (RPGLE, CLLE, etc) on WEB
>we can access the data on
>DATA using any number of methods:
>- Stored procedures
>- DDM
>- SQL's CONNECT TO statement
>- DATA QUEUE's, message queue's, MQSeries, etc
>However we are leaning towards storing our HLL on DATA.

Unless you want to radically change the HLLs, this is the typical
arrangement.  And if you're willing to radically change the HLLs, WebFacing
seems redundant to me (as the whole point of WF is to web-present your
unchanged RPG.)

>Which machine takes the interactive hit?
>A - The machine running WAS - WEB
>B - The machine with all the HLL, screen files, etc - DATA

DATA takes the interactive hit.  That is, the machine the RPG will be
running on.  But the new WebFacing in WDSc 5.0 does not use interactive
capacity.  This may even be true of 4.0 but I can't recall for certain.

>What do I have to open up on the firewall to allow
>WEB to run the HLL on DATA?

That's out of my league, but I bet it's in the WAS docs.
  --buck