From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 12:27 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Message (popup window) and "beep"

This is sort of hard to do with web pages since you need to
submit a form before you can verify data.

For example, you have a customer enter an item number.  IF
the item number is invalid the only practical way of
testing is in the program that is run when the form is
submitted.

You _COULD_ put all your valid item numbers in a javascript
array and test against that, but that's impractical.

So, to do what you want, you'd need to do the following:

1.  Build your HTML Form
2.  Form is submitted, call program to verify data
3.  If the data is ok, conitinue on
4.  If the data has an error, redisplay the form and an
error message with HTML.  If you want a popup, you could
dynamically build javascript that would display a popup
window with the errors in it.

I would suggest that before getting too deep in to web apps
that you do take the time to learn and understand what
tools HTML and JavaScript can and can't do.  Once you know
what you have to work with then you can get pretty creative
with how things are done.  :)

But, if you don't know what tools you have, then you will
fight it forever.

Brad
www.bvstools.com
On Tue, 13 May 2003 13:05:00 -0400
 "Peter Vidal" <Peter_Vidal@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I have tried top search for this on the forum without
> luck.  I am new with CGI,
> HTML and Java and I would like to be able to display an
> error on a popup window,
> in front of the actual data entry screen and also be able
> to do a "beep" sound
> when the data was successfully entered and without
> errors.
>
> I know that I can use a BEEP.WAV file for the sound but
> nothing about how to
> work around the "popup" window idea I have and neither
> how to play this .WAV
> file
>
> Any advice is very well received.
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Peter Vidal
> Pall Aeropower Corp.
> SR Programmer Analyst
> WWW.Pall.com / 727-539-8448, x2414
>
> "A good player makes himself look good;
> a great player makes the team look good."
> Author unknown

> archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/web400.

Bradley V. Stone