1. How would one go about "generating" the cached pages. I know I could
use a PC-based tool to "download" the site, then publish it back to the
IFS, but I'd rather 100% automate this. Can I call Net.Data from the
command line and redirect its output to a file?
Yes!
Just look at the Net.Data forum:
http://server6.kepnet.com/cgi-bin/db2www/forum.d2w/view?SID=20000110182221678137

2. I realize this may be too application-specific, but in vagaries, how
could you "wrap" the website to be able to recognize that a page is in the
cache and display it? Maybe convert the single parm that can be passed
into the page (K) in a folder name, something like Index/1/Index.HTML,
Index/2/Index.HTML...I don't know...
3. If I do something like the naming above, can the logic to decide if the
cached page exists or not be moved to the Apache server itself using some
sort of pattern match mapping?
2 and 3: i once saw a very interesting article discussing this. It was an
Apache article, but i can't remember where it was.

The main "trick" was to have a custom "page not found"-page that produces
the page as desired. Maybe that helps or helps someone to remember or point
you to the story.

4. Where does one learn more about the syntax for pattern matching used in
Apache? I need the dummies version. I'm dying to get rid of the
/cgi-bin/db2www/ that's in every URL, as well as mapping / right to the
home page instead of clicking to it.
4a) these are regular expressions and you find a lot of samples on the web.
At least that's where i end up most of the time, looking at different samples.

4b) that's the welcome page(s).

0.02 Euro

best regards /  Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Anton Gombkötö
Avenum Technologie GmbH

http://www.avenum.com