Hi Greg!

>I haven't quite sat down to figure
>out how the posting of replys work
>on WEB400.

You replied to the group just fine.  On most email clients, taking the
'Reply' option works a charm!

>the messages are being returned by Tomcat.

Right.  I believe this is indeed a UTF-8 issue, despite your symptoms.
Technically, WAS is the only supported webserver for WF.  The thing is that
WF automatically uses UTF-8 encoding, in order to be able to support
non-English languages (the iSeries is big in Europe!)

I don't know the WF version you're using, but here's some advice from the
newsgroup ibm.software.websphere.studio400 by Per Wallhoff that might help.

BEGIN QUOTE
I found out how to make tomcat  4.1.9 able to respond whith utf-8.

I just copied the following lines from example application together whith
the relevant folder and now it works.
(I also adjusted the param-value EUC_JP to UTF-8)

Good luck anyone trying to work whit the tomcat server.

PerW
<!-- Example filter to set character encoding on each request -->

<filter>

<filter-name>Set Character Encoding</filter-name>

<filter-class>filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter</filter-class>

<init-param>

<param-name>encoding</param-name>

<!-- <param-value>EUC_JP</param-value> -->

<param-value>UTF-8</param-value>

</init-param>

</filter>

<!-- Example filter mapping to apply the "Set Character Encoding" filter

to *all* requests processed by this web application -->

<filter-mapping>

<filter-name>Set Character Encoding</filter-name>

<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

</filter-mapping>

<!-- Define example application events listeners -->

<listener>

<listener-class>listeners.ContextListener</listener-class>

</listener>

<listener>

<listener-class>listeners.SessionListener</listener-class>

</listener>
END QUOTE

Harry Tian offers this advice

BEGIN QUOTE
Just disable the UTF-8 support in your WF project, because you couldn't
configure UTF-8 support in Tomcat. If your application is in English, it
should be OK. Please follow the instruction on how to setup WF project in
VAJ WTE.

There is wfapp.properties file in conf subdirectory,
1) if you are using WDT5.1+SP5:
set parmeter {WFWTE} = true
2) if you are using WDSC4.0+SP1
set parmeter {WFForce_UTF8} = true

Note, we do NOT officially support Webfaced application running in Tomact.
The application server we support is: IBM WebSphere Application Server (
V4.0 AE, V4.0 AEs, V3.5.x AE, V3.5.x SE)
END QUOTE

  --buck