> I don't mean to imply public accessibility, internet
> access, or any other
> Amazon-like delivery other than the sole requirement that
> the client-side
> install be limited to a web browser and the server supply
> HTML. Are you
> saying that a "browser based" in-house system can't
> handle it?

No, I didn't say "can't handle it".  For the last time,
please don't put words in my mouth.  I said there may be a
better option.

> >Unless you're selling one item with no options, things
> get tricky.
>
> Sure. But they get tricky anywhere. They are more tricky
> in 5250, in VB, in
> Java or in HTML.

But you could do it in VB in 1/4 the time, easily.  And it
would be more user friendly.  Otherwise everything would be
browser based.

Again, missing my point.  I shouldn't have to define
"tricky".

> >What you will present to the web user and what your CSR
> will want as far as
> detail will differ.
> >...the level of detail that they want is much more than
> a user on the web
> will require.
>
> Sure, and they will use different browser-based apps. I'm
> not suggesting
> that what works for me as a customer of a company works
> for internal CSRs,
> simply that the internal app can be browser-based.

As long as we're writing seperate apps, why not go with a
GUI like VB or applets?  Let me guess, you make money making
web apps.  :)

> >I also think a GUI may be the solution
>
> Isn't a web browser GUI?

oh boy.. are we really having this discussion?

> I don't mean to beat a dead horse. And this customer may
> indeed have some
> special need that can only be satisfied by a fat-client.
> However, given
> Aaron's statement that he's been asked to "look
> into...GUI" and that he's
> "planning on using CGIDEV2 to start" I assume that the
> current solution is
> 5250 based.

If you've worked with most programmers, they start with
something they're familiar with, like a web client.  They
get so far and if it works it works.  If it doesn't, you
look at something else.  I don't think I know a programmer
who follows the "rules" of application development.

Bottom line of this discussion which is drawing on far too
long is I said "web isn't always the best case" which you
disagreed with.  That means you say web IS the best case.
This statement, although implied, is definate, and therein
lies the flaw.  And shows how putting words in people's
mouths which you did several times here really skews the
meaning.

Thanks for your time, Walden.

Brad
www.bvstools.com