The output buffer is dynamically allocated and reallocated, if necessary.  So,
it can't get "full" until it exceeds 16 MB.  I have written hundreds of
thousands of bytes to the browser with one execution of a CGI program.

Incorrect HTML is a likely source of the problem.

The failure to write the *fini section would likely cause no HTML to be sent to
the browser, not partial HTML.

Writing the *fini section prematurely could cause the problem.  For example, if
you intend to write sections one through six:
  WrtSection('one two three')
  WrtSection('four five six *fini')
but incorrectly write
  WrtSection('one two three *fini')
  WrtSection('four five six')
what happens is:
  sections one, two, and three are buffered
  sections one, two, and three are sent to the browser
  the buffer is cleared
  sections four, five, and six are buffered

You can use the CGIDEBUG *ON command to turn on CGIDEV2's debugging output.
Then run the program.  Then run CGIDEBUG *DSPDATA to view the debugging output,
which includes all the output buffered by WrtSection.

You can also use the ILE debugger (use STRSRVJOB first) and step through your
code.

Regarding activation groups, setting on LR, etc., if the program runs
frequently, I generally recommend a named activation group and NOT setting on
LR.  Perform first time operations the first time the program runs (opening
files, setting up structures, arrays, etc.).  On subsequent runs, reinitialize
whatever is required and continue processing.  This technique results in much
better performance because file opens and closes are avoided, creating and
destroying activation groups is avoided, and reprocessing the HTML template(s)
is avoided.  If multiple CGI programs are to use the same named activation
group, make sure all those programs uses exactly the same HTML template(s).

These recommendations are also discussed in the Easy400 Yahoo Group, message
number 208, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Easy400Group/message/208 .

Also see the Easy400 site's FAQ number 26,
http://www.easy400.ibm.it/cgidev2o/faq26.htm?ts=ts2002711202455 .

--
Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
http://www.easy400.ibm.it/en