We are running an HTTP server which has it's own folders on the AS400. We
store our static html-pages, javascripts, images,...etc in the folders of
the HTTP-server.  We also have a WebApplicationServer (WAS) running which
also has it's own folders on the AS400.  Servlets, javaclasses, JSP's are
stored in these folders.

Because we use same images, javascript-pieces, etc... we have 2 different
folders with same objects.  And to make it more difficult, we created 2
WebApplications, which has their own folders (path's) inside the
WAS-folders! Now we have 3 folders with same objects...  Isn't the most
important advantage of  the java-hipe  'reusability of objects' ?  Why
should I store 2 same java-objects in different WASApplication-folders
then?

Tests prove me that, when objects are not in the WASApp_folders, errors
are generated in WAS_logfiles but objects (image/applets) are shown on the
pages.  I believe this is because we have put an alias in HTPPserver to
the root of the 'Default_Server' in WAS.  Which means that objects are not
sent by WAS but searched, and found by HTTP-server...

We managed to get both the HTTP- and WAS-server installed and running.  We
also are able to create servlets/jsp's/static htmlpages and put the at the
'correct' place so the webpages load normally and the servlets do their
job.  I understand that the HTTP-server should reply for requests of
HTML-pages and that it transfers requests for servlets and/or JSP's to
WAS.  Then WAS will reply on this request and sends it's HTML-reply to the
client... but the whole setup still seems to be a bit cloudy, mostly
because of the 'image/javascript folder per WASApplication'-strategi.

Question is:
Is this the right way???  Shouldn't it be more convenient to have only 1
version, stored somewhere in the WAS-folders?  How is this usually done?

All hints and tips welcome!