From: Peter Dow [mailto:pcdow@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 7:48 PM
To: web400@midrange.com
Subject: Re: [WEB400] web services

Hi Walden,

Option 3 sounds like a higher level of option 2, kind of like assembler vs
HLL.  It's still proprietary in that I can't use that interface to find out
what Wal Mart's item descriptions are -- it's specific to your company.  The
underlying details of the interface are hidden, making it easier to use;
definitely a good thing.

When you say the interface is published, how is that done?  Do you simply
send instructions on how to use it to people or companies you will allow to
use it?  Or does it have to be published on a server somewhere on the web?
Or simply posted on a web page?

When I read about this, I'm not sure which magazine, it mentioned that some
companies may actually charge for these types of service.  In your example,
there doesn't appear to be any built-in mechanism for doing that.  Do you
know of one?  When I read the article, it sounded like one more move in the
direction of providing services instead of software, in order to have a
steady revenue stream.  Nonetheless, it could be a very useful technology.

Curious,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice