Joel, thanks for a very concise and comprehensive review of the basic forms
of HTML interface.

My only quibble is that there is a significant difference between the
various sub-species of web serving.  My personal preference, JSP, for
example, is unique in that all web sessions run Java, and in fact all
session served under a single web application share a common JVM.  Because
of the Java-centric architecture, a properly written servlet can easily be
ported to another platform, thereby offloading the AS/400 of web serving
responsibilities when circumstances warrant it.  Note that I am not implying
that all servlets are platform-neutral.  I am saying that you CAN write them
that way.

RPG CGI, of course, is far less portable.

ASP is also very implementation-specific, although from what I understand
more and more platforms are supporting at least some subset of it.