As for code snippets, they are big, but same basic technique Brad Stone uses
in E-RPG book.
For more "in-sight", if you are curious, the id=demo, pw=test123; srp maint
will act
"funky" if more than one person is in due to requirements, the system is
centered
around the "fact" that a customer will only be on once session at a time -
basically
it will appear you have made changes when in fact someone else has, or you
could
loose changes when in fact someone else has removed them on you.  Our sales
people
know this and schedule out time to demo this app (today and this weekend it
is "free")
after that I would ask that you do not "browse" as we could have reps out
after that.

I am using HTML/CGI programs to write/create the output (based in part on
Brad Stone's
writings and grabbing some things from cgidev2 after I understood what I was
doing)
Most of the html is right in the rpg source, I only use some qtxtsrc members
for static
information that never changes.

Most of the "graphics" are submit buttons, I do not write to the IFS,
I have all the programs in a named activation group.
They are large programs due to the hard core processing/business
rules/requirements
that are being performed.  One side note, the "green-screen" app takes a bit
to load up the
first time, but is quicker from there due to grabbing data from subfiles)
Otherwise just a "header" gif to tell them where they are... which is on the
IFS...

As for other ideas, wow: our buffer sizes where set to 8192, not 64000 -
thanks for that tip
We "currently" have no internal lan people hitting the as/400 web site -
Server threads are min 3 max 5 (I am asking a stupid question here, these
need to be
bumped up to what I expect "heavy" traffic for???  Would 5 and 20 be
"crazy"???
I will have to check on the firewall/router for sizing it has only half a
meg, but is
only the router and minimal firewall (ip filtering/forwarding, that's about
it)
as for what else is going through the pipe - hmm we went cheap, DSL
connection-
www.dslreports.com report today 950Kbps down and 1250Kbps up (we pay for 1
meg both ways)
- we have external mail server from our dsl provider,
so we have 70-75 PCs poling for mail depending on set up at 10-15
minute intervals - and about 40 PCs that can surf (and I know of at least a
couple
that will occasionally do radio or video streaming over this same pipe...) I
never
thought of that before (thanks for the insight).
As for how we are set up, The main web site is hosted off-site by our DSL
provider,
then the customer signs on to the AS/400 with it's own IP address - so a
customer
should have a "direct" hop to our AS/400.
As for the MaxPersistRequests and PersistTimeout directives they are not
there,
should they be? The http "Keep-Alive" is not in the header, should it be?
As for how many cgi programs, the SRP maint portion has 19 programs alone,
and
the rest of the cgi programs number 21 to perform various inquiries.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions/and the ohh dahhs you made me look at.

Mark A. Manske
Fleming CSD - Plymouth Division
Sr. Project Lead
Phone      (763) 545-3700 extension 273