  • Subject: Re: Mixing GET and POST Methods
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:16:03 -0500

As many of you have seen on occasion I sometimes get short, and if I've
offended anyone I do apologize.  But, I see both sides of the CGIDEV2.  Yes
it is cool to know how it is done.  But this can be taken to extreme.
Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous.  For example, quoting a
recent magazine article, many developers have an attitude called NIH or Not
Invented Here.  These people will not use a service program unless it does
not have source.  They will want to write their own instead.  They have
many attitudes.
1)  I don't care if it is extremely well documented.  I don't care if it
even has a separate manual.  I want to look at the code.
2)  Egads, the one subprocedure I need comes with all these others I don't
need in this program.  I'll just cut and hack the code.
3)  This /copy of prototypes and common variables has ones that I don't
use.  I want to eliminate any variable that appears in a compile listing as
'not referenced'.  I'll copy and paste just the ones I want.
4)  I may want to use this in a CL or RPGIII program.  I'll break it out
into a separate program so I can do a traditional CALL.
5)  I didn't write it, so it must not be any good.  (Then they send out a
memo to the department about this cool routine they wrote and how everyone
should use it.)
and...
I do tend to get somewhat short with these associates.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Brad Stone"

                    <brad@bvstools.        To:     WEB400@midrange.com

                    com>                   cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: Mixing GET and POST
Methods
                    owner-web400@mi

                    drange.com

                    08/03/2001

                    09:33 PM

                    Please respond

                    to WEB400

Well, my book was written two years ago as well.  #2 is on
the way.  So yes, I was comaring to the original.  (It takes
a little longer for a book to get out.. which is why I keep
my source updated on my source page, and no signups either!
And one click downloads!).

What, in your eyes Jon, is extra special about CGIDEV2?
What is in it that couldn't be done by knowing the APIs,
SQL, HTML, Javascript, etc?  Which is exactly what the
message said that I replied to.

Would knowing how to do these things be more valuable, or
are the tools?

I'm not trying to take away from CGIDEVx either, I guess
it's the programmer in me that would rather know how to do
it than to have it done for me.

Brad
www.bvstools.com

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:05:52 -0400
 jon.paris@e400.com wrote:

>  >> My book explains how to do it too.  using APIs.
> CGIDEV isn't anything
> that special.
>
> If you're referring to CGIDEV Brad (i.e. the original
> version) then I
> wouldn't take issue with you.  If you're talking about
> CGIDEV2 (the current
> version) then I have to disagree.  I don't want to
> detract from your book -
> you've done a great job in kick-starting interest in the
> topic but the
> coding techniques and facilities offered in CGIDEV2 go
> way beyond those
> presented in the book.
> +---
> | This is the WEB400 Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to
> WEB400@midrange.com.
> | To subscribe to this list send email to
> WEB400-SUB@midrange.com.
> WEB400-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> | Questions should be directed to the list
> owner/operator: david@midrange.com
> +---

Bradley V. Stone
BVS.Tools