  • Subject: Re: 1 KB GIF takes 4 MB on DB2 ????????
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:12:16 -0400

 >> My one KB gif takes up 4MB on db2 where it is  stored as a BLOB.  Can
anybody explain why and how to avoid such  overhead.

This is suspicion not knowledge but I doubt that it takes up 1Kb on your PC
(or whatever) either.  It will take up whatever the minimum hardware
allocation is.  On my Windows machine the cluster size is 4Kb and even
though Windows reports files of 1, 2 and 3Kb I suspect that they take up 4
anyway.  That was certainly true on Win 98 using the FAT file system.

My guess is that the AS/400 is reporting _actual_ DASD usage and that 4Mb
is its minimum allocation unit.

Try increasing the size of the GIF and see at what point the 400 reports
using more space.  As others have suggested you are far better off placing
items of this size in the IFS anyway - remember what BLOB stands for the
L=Large and the system architecture will be oriented that way.  I don't
think 1Kb GIFs are what they would have had in mind.

+---