One of the biggest problems using the default dark theme in 9.6 was the screen and report designer tools. It was absolutely impossible to read a large chunk of the Properties section. This is something that I see they have resolved in 9.8. However, I still recommend Darkest Dark because not all of base Eclipse follows the default Dark theme. Snippets will still be in pure white. Darkest Dark is the only thing I have found that will truly make all of eclipse go dark.

On VS Code I'm using a high contract theme, and I do the same in PyCharm. Makes PyCharm really dark and easy to use.