From: "Joep Beckeringh via WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Clientfor System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Joep Beckeringh" <joep.beckeringh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2021/12/20 09:01
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WDSCI-L] RDi on MacOs Monterey
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So, I got myself a brand new MacBook Pro M1. I read the horror stories
about RDi on MacOs on <
https://community.ibm.com/community/user/power/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=d7a97382-7e33-4d57-b53a-97174761546f
, but I understood that there was, based on Eric Simpson’s description, a
narrow path that led to installation.

First: Install Java. After reading some not very clear instructions and
performing some black magic in Terminal I succeeded.

Second: Install Access Client Solutions. Although there appears to be a
separate download for MacOs, it is not mentioned in the instructions and
seems to not do very much. So I downloaded the zip-file instead, found that
it was automatically unpacked, tried to run the install script and got only
error messages. Eventually I found that I could actually start ACS by
starting ‘acslaunch’. Not pretty, but I got it working.

Third: Install Installation Manager according to Eric’s instructions. Eric
mentions version 1.9.1.5, but following his instructions I got 1.9.2. But
Userinst.app would not run.

In the mean time I read about removing extended attributes with ‘xattr -c’
and Safari’s defaults for ‘safe files’. So I switched off automatic
unpacking and had another go.

ACS take 2: dowloaded the zip, removed extended attributes, unpacked the
file and ran the installation script. This time everything went smooth and
I now have a normal installation of ACS.

Installation Manager take 2: downloaded the zip, removed extended
attributes, unpacked the file and tried to run Userinst.app. No go: ‘App
Userinst cannot be opened’ (in Dutch).

So I have a few questions:
- Was Eric’s description only valid for Big Sur and is the narrow path
blocked by Monterey?
- Or did something change in Installation Manager version 1.9.2?
- Does this mean there is no way to install RDi on Monterey?

And additionally:
- Is there an APAR for this situation?

Joep Beckeringh
Pantheon Automatisering B.V.