On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yep - it was a while ago but they only fried it for Win 10 and the client uses Win 7!

Not to distract from the main point, which is that there *ought* to be
some way to resolve the line-ending issue completely within RDi, but
just as an academic exercise (let's hope), is the restriction to
Notepad at this client site *truly* that only Notepad is allowed? Or
is it that only things that "come with Windows" are allowed? Also, are
the developers not allowed to log into the IBM i?

Now, presumably RDi is even in the conversation at all because the
*development* can happen in an environment of the programmers'
choosing, and then the resulting text files are *deployed* at the
restrictive customer site? And then Notepad would be used in a kind of
touch-up capacity? Otherwise I fail to see how the *newline* issue
could be a barrier to RDi adoption. If RDi can be installed on the
same computer where "only Notepad is allowed" then why can't Notepad++
or any number of other editors be installed there?

Notepad is the most well-known text editor that comes with Windows,
but with the advent of PowerShell, there is also the PowerShell ISE.
The 'S' stands for "scripting", but like most editors, you *can* use
it for arbitrary text, not just the programming language it was
designed to support. I don't have Windows 7 anymore to confirm, but
PowerShell ISE could conceivably be included in Windows 7. (It was
relatively early days yet, and though I am positive Windows 7 included
PowerShell, the ISE might not have been preinstalled. From what I can
find on the Internet, there is a chance that the ISE *installer* is
present on Windows 7, you just have to find it and run it.) Of course,
this is all moot if PowerShell ISE on Windows 7 doesn't recognize LF
newlines. (I can confirm that on Windows 10, not surprisingly, it
handles either newline convention just fine.)

Editing directly on the i through the green-screen 5250 interface is
dreadful but possible (at worst, you can always use EDTF). If logging
in through SSH is a possibility, then much better options open up.
(Specifically, even though vi is much-reviled by the uninitiated, it
is actually quite a capable editor. And if the open source RPMs are
available, then we're really cooking with gas.)

If all else fails, and this turns out to be not merely academic, and
the restrictions at the client site are unreasonably draconian, then
there is always the ability to correct the newlines as a separate step
unto itself. (Probably some grep/sed one-liner would do it.) But to
reiterate what I said at the beginning, it seems almost inconceivable
that the problem isn't correctable via some knob or dial within RDi.

John Y.