I believe the iSphere tools are largely dependent on the Remote Systems view - which is a component of RDi. (Otherwise, you could simply install standard Eclipse + iSphere, at no cost.) Therefore you need the RPG and COBOL Tools to support iSphere.

You will have to invest in a Permanent Licence to continue using RDi. Uninstalling and reinstalling won't work. Under Windows, RDi keeps information in the registry to prevent this.

Have you considered an alternative? IBM Access Client Solutions is a free download and provides excellent spool file support.

You say, "I am hoping to be able to view and download spool files, and use iSphere Messages to scan message files". This is a little confusing. Do you really mean message definitions in Message Files (*MSGF objects) or received messages in Message Queues (*MSGQ objects)? (The iSphere Messages subsystem enables you to manage messages in a *MSGQ. There is a separate iSphere tool that  supports scanning message text in a *MSGF.)

Brian.