From: WDSCI-L <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Ken Killian
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 10:53 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Compiling a locked display file

Josée,

Good Question! Try opening the view: "Command Log"...

For IBM i Developers, I point this out when creating service programs. We can find Binding errors.

Basically, the view "Command Log" is our RDI command log.

It is helpful!

I got this message in my "Command Log" when trying to create a display file and it was locked!

CRTDSPF SRCFILE(KKILLIAN/QDDSSRC) SRCMBR(SWCODEDW) REPLACE(*YES) OPTION(*EVENTF) FILE(KKILLIAN/SWCODEDW) Cannot allocate object SWCODEDW in KKILLIAN type *FILE.
Cause . . . . . : Existing object SWCODEDW in library KKILLIAN type *FILE is in use by another job. Object SWCODEDW in library KKILLIAN type *FILE is the object being replaced by the create function currently being performed. Recovery . . . : Try the create function again when object SWCODEDW in library KKILLIAN type *FILE becomes available.
File SWCODEDW not created in library KKILLIAN.
Cause . . . . . : The file was not created because of errors. Recovery . . . : See the error messages previously listed. Correct the errors, and then try the request again.

PS. I have that view open all the time. It really helps me learn how RDI works too!

RDi Knowledge is POWER! <Joy Joy>

-Ken Killian-