ACS does support Mac OS.

-----Original Message-----
From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rex Merchant
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 8:03 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDi and Mac Book Pro

Tim,

My Macbook Pro is 2.5 years old, so I don't have a touch bar. On my desk I use 2 large monitors + keyboard + mouse, so most of the time I am not bumping into keyboard issues.

Keyboard: the external keyboard has a Delete key, but not Insert. When I wake up a member (RPG for example) in RDI its default is the Overwrite cursor block. But on the screen the word "Insert" appears in 1 or 2 places; click on it to change the mode. Deleting is a little irritating on the laptop keyboard. It is just a bit more work to move ahead and use Backspace instead. My keyboards both have F-keys (1-12 on the laptop and
1-19 on the external) so not sure how to address that one. They work as expected with Shift to reach the higher numbers.

Emulator: I develop nearly 100% in Synon (now CA 2e) ... all green screen. I use Mocha TN5250 emulator. It works well and is just my preference. Access Client does exist for Mac but I have not used it.
RDI does all I need with IFS so I have no compelling reason to get Access Client.

The only gotcha I have for you - very common in Mac world - is that Windows development is Priority 1 for most software vendors and Mac development is Priority 7 or so. You WILL encounter software that looks like the greatest thing ever but, sorry, PC only. Smarter guys like Jon Paris have taught their Mac to emulate a PC but I have never bothered.

I have owned a lot of computers in my life. I generally don't get emotional about them ... but I LOVE my Mac.

Rex
--
Rex Merchant
(704) 605-1325

Tim Fathers wrote:
Hi all, I'm considering finally caving in and buying Mac Book Pro but the lack of some important keys from the keyboard is one of the things putting me off. For example, there doesn't appear to be a delete key, insert key or any of the function keys, does anyone here have any experience of using RDi and the green screen without these keys? Can I map the touch bar to the usual F-keys? My Surface Pro lacks the insert key and it makes editing in RDi almost impossible I find.

Also, how well does RDi and indeed the IBM i essentials (emulators, Access Client Solutions etc. etc.) work on the Mac? Any gotchas I need to know about?

Cheers,

Tim.