Von: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Zyto45
Zuzel
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. November 2017 09:29
An: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for
System i & iSeries
Betreff: Re: [WDSCI-L] iSphere compare editor encoding issue

Hi,

thanks for checking!

I will try to explain exactly how it looks. I have two source files. I
have tried different CCSID and it seems it has no influence here. At the
moment one file has CCSID(1141) and another has CCSID(273). In both files
there is a member with line like:

D VO C CONST('üJKLMNOPQR')

When I open it in LPEX editor it looks fine. I did a test with different
encoding setting for entire workspace and it seems it also does not have
influence on the issue. The only problem is when I try to use compare
editor. The result is like this:

D VO C CONST(' JKLMNOPQR')

ü (0xC3BC) is converted to (0xef 0xbf 0xbd REPLACEMENT CHARACTER). What
is more, when I make some changes in compare editor and save the member, it
is saved with wrongly encoded characters. It is not a problem when special
character is in comment section but in this case it changes program's logic
as well.

The same member opened in LPEX editor after save in compare editor:

D VO C CONST(' JKLMNOPQR')

Best Regards,
Lukasz.

So far I am lost with reproducing the problem, because for me using a
source file with encoding 1208 (UTF-8) does not work at all.

Here is what I tried to reproduce the problem:

1) Precondition: my workspace is set to Cp1252, which is the default
Windows encoding
2) Started the test case with creating a source physical file like this:
crtsrcpf raddatz/qsrc1208 ccsid(1208)
3) Added two fresh members.
4) Started the iSphere compare editor and got nothing but garbage.
5) Opened the members with the Lpex editor and got the same garbage.
6) Changed workspace encoding to utf-8.
7) Removed the members from the "RemoteSystemsTempFiles" folder.
8) Opened the members with the Lpex editor and got the same garbage
again.

When I debug the iSphere compare editor, then the downloaded resource
files are reported as UTF-8:

System.out.println(((IFile)fLeftResource).getCharset());

But when I open the files, I cannot properly decode them with Notepad++.
All I see is garbage. Hence I am sure it is not utf-8.

iSphere uses the
"QSYSEditableRemoteSourceFileMember.download(IProgressMonitor
monitor)" method for downloading the members and I expect that the
Lpex editor does it the same way. I wonder whether the problem is in
QSYSEditableRemoteSourceFileMember.

Last but not least I did my tests with RDP 8.0 and RDi 9.5.1.2 with
the same results.

Did I do or understand something wrong?

Thomas.