On 3/28/2017 1:10 PM, John Yeung wrote:
I deliberately used the phrase 'seem a bit clunky' because many people
seem to have a mental bobble when trying to use RDi. In particular,
they expect RDi to act like Word, or some other Windows app. RDi is not
Word with an accent; it is its own unique, individual thing.

Well, I'll quibble with Word as the exemplar here, because
statistically no people use Word as a programming editor. But your
point is equally (or better) made inserting almost any programming
editor that runs in Windows. Perhaps most to the point: "many people
have a mental bobble when using RDi because they expect LPEX to act
like Eclipse's editor for Java".

Thus 'Word, or some other Windows app'.

I admit I'm in that group of people. I do keep forgetting that LPEX
has a long history. I also keep forgetting that people are going to
use RDi to work on whatever RPG code is on their system, and for a
very high percentage of RDi users, that is going to necessarily
include some fixed-format code, which by its nature isn't well suited
for the same editing techniques as typically used for C, Pascal, Java,
etc.

Well said.

RDi has several ways to select text.

Here is one area that I am not convinced has to be the way it is in
LPEX. I believe stream and line selection could be unified.

I never thought to check/place an RFE. Several are possible:
1) Use Tab to indent a selection, similar to Alt-F8. Vice versa with
shift-tab Alt-F7.
2) Allow Alt-F7/8 with Stream selection.

To remove the selection, Alt-U

So, I take it you have to use Alt+U to remove a stream selection as
well,

No, stream selections go away if I Use a cursor key.

since it's really just the same kind of selection, arrived at
via different keys?

Line and Stream are not the same kind of selection arrived at via
different keystrokes. They are distinct 'modes' of selection, arrived
at via different keystrokes.

If the answer is "no, line and stream selection are different after
all, but only one can be active at a time, and stream selection
doesn't require Alt+U" then I am thinking it's a shame that the two
selection modes aren't truly the same thing. But I think I prefer this
second answer, because it embraces and accentuates the difference
between line and stream, and smooths the workflow for stream selection
(which I suspect would overwhelmingly be the selection method of
choice for Windows natives).

That's what I was trying to say with 'seems clunky' :-)

This whole indentation selection thing... is this something that was
implemented specifically for RDi, or is this how it's done in Eclipse?

Javascript uses Ctrl-I to indent.

Unfortunately, you went deep into "too concise" territory there.

The Javascript editor I'm using in RDi uses Ctrl-i after selection. I
keyed (haha) on 'indent keystroke' and whiffed on 'selection mechanism'.