The original subject line no longer had any relevance to the contents
of the thread, so I changed it.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Jonathan Wilson
<piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is notepadqq, a linux native version of notepad++. It should be
noted however that it is behind the current notepad++ version and may
not copy all the functionality so might/might not allow user defined
languages.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/313973/what-are-the-alternatives-to-notepad-on-ubuntu

Scroll down a bit to see the reply related to notepadqq. Also on that
reply it mentions SciTe which uses the "editor" bit of notepad++ so
might also allow/not allow user defined languages.

The common part of SciTE and Notepad++ is Scintilla, which is usually
referred to as an "editor component". SciTE is the original Scintilla
Text Editor (that's where name comes from; Scintilla and SciTE are
written by the same person). There are quite a lot of editors which
use Scintilla.

It so happens SciTE has a Mac version (as well as Linux and Windows),
but Scintilla is a smaller and more basic component than you might
think, and custom language definitions are not handled the same as
Notepad++ at all. I would expect there isn't anything out there (other
than Notepad++ itself or a genuine port) that can use its custom
language definitions.

John Y.