For "configuration" kind of errors the first thing that I would try to
correct it is to start RDI with the -clean parameter. Modify the shortcut
used to start RDI by adding " -clean" (sans quotes) then close (if it is
running) and restart RDI. Alternatively try a new workspace to see if it
is tied to your workspace or the install.

The message would indicate that something in the workspace is giving up
waiting for something to spin up. Do you have a code coverage test set up
with a WAS instance on the machine for example? Or there could be a code
coverage job pending with the IBM i and it is waiting to connect to the
host - check the code coverage and debug views for residual stuff?

Maybe even take a peek in the preferences under General > Startup &
Shutdown (or something like that) and disable the activation of possibly
relevant plugins at startup to see if you can track down the cause.

All the best, Mike

Mike Hockings, M.Eng., P.Eng.
IBM Rational Developer for System z and Power Systems Software Technical
Support
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory