"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/23/2016 01:00:02 PM:
----- Message from Paul Bailey <PabloMotte+Midrange@xxxxxxxxx> on
Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:21:50 +0100 -----

To:

"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject:

Re: [WDSCI-L] New RFE: Improve performance on Browse buttons on Set SEP
screen

Its interesting that you feel it works like you'd want it to. I also
right-click source members from RSE if I can (a nice feature added in v9
I
think), but sometimes I just want to quickly add a SEP without finding
it
in RSE first.

I find that if I've entered *LIBL and a program name, but I need to
select
something other than *ALL for the module, selecting Browse for a module
and
then again for a Procedure builds a complete list of every single object
in
my library list, including every module and procedure for *every*
program
(despite already specifying a program name.) Additionally, I find that
the
entire list of display files, printer files and database files are also
included in the list.

Browsing for a program name also produces the entire list (including
files
and all, taking 5+ minutes or so to build sometimes) and the
modules/procedures are also listed but I can not select a module or
procedure if I've selected the browse by the program - I have to select
the
program, then browse again to find and select the module, then browse
again
to find and select the procedure. Obviously pen&paper would help, but
the
tool could do it for me.

The time it takes to build the list for display after you've pressed a
browse button prevents all other actions in RDi (the SEP window is a
modal
window!)

In essence, the browse buttons are taking too long to produce too much
information, some of which is unusable or irrelevant, and not allowing
selection of some of this information anyway. Additionally RDi is
useless
until the list is displayed.

I am using V9.5.1 too.

If this is completely different to your experience, and you can't
reproduce
what I am seeing, then perhaps I have a problem worthy of a PMR instead
of
an RFE.


-Paul.

I can kind of see why it takes so long. When you browse for a module or
procedure, you're not browsing for an object. Since modules and procedures
are internal to an object I think (just guessing here) IBM is taking the
approach that it has no idea where to find the module or procedure so it's
returning a large list of possibilities. You're right that this shouldn't
be required. It should be able to return information for only the program
or service program you've specified. If you only specified a module or
program, I could understand. The WRKOBJ command (or WRKPGM or WRKSRVPGM)
can quickly produce a list of objects when you specify *LIBL or *USRLIBL
or *ALLUSR. Heck even using WRKPGM *ALL/pgmname doesn't take that long and
still respects the program name.

The work around would be to specify a library name and then browse. Like
Buck, I never found it lengthy or problematic to browse for a module or
procedure. But I've always specified a library first. (Do you know the
library where the program/service program resides?) You could also try
browsing for the higher level first: library, program, etc. and then go
for the nitty gritty. It's still irritating to have to browse through all
programs in a library when you've specified one. But at least that's a
faster process than browsing through every program in the library list.

Anyway, we'll see how much momentum your RFE garners.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.