Scott Johnson said:
Why Quantum... (at least for me)

Several years ago, I had the need to run SQL and export large datasets to Excel. I tried many plug-ins and none could handle the large datasets. I came across Quantum and it was able to handle the large datasets and export them to Excel. At some point I did try the Database Perspective and it could not handle the datasets either.

To me another good thing about Quantum is that it is quick and dirty. Type in an SQL, click run, get results. If you are a fan of intellisense this is not for you. Oh and you can pretty much connect to any DB with a JDBC driver. Which came in handy when I needed to hit the MS SQL server.

Over the years I have tried different plug-ins that handle SQL and none really caught my fancy.
I tried the recent incarnation of the Database perspective and went back to Quantum. I am just not a fan of how they arrange the Views.
I am keeping an eye Access Client Solutions Run SQL. If this could be fully integrated into RDi...

Couldn't agree more, Scott. I find Quantum DB fast, quick and easy - much simpler to use than the Database Development perspective. For quick 'n dirty SQL use, it's the Eclipse equivalent of STRSQL. Something else worth noting: I have been able to introduce Eclipse + Quantum DB (free) to clients where RDi + Quantum DB (not free) is inappropriate, (e.g. non-developer audience such as business analysts). The ACS Run SQL facility would be another option and this presently includes the ability to insert template SQL statements. (I am hoping IBM continues to enhance ACS with the SQL Assist prompt "wizards" for DML statements.)

iSphere is a must. If you have this, you shouldn't need the Softlanding RSE Extensions. Most of the latter, (which has not been enhanced) is incorporated in the former, (which continues to improve).

Brian Parkins.