On Tue, 2016-03-01 at 10:23 -0500, Edmund Reinhardt wrote:
I understand that taking the keyboard focus is annoying, but don't you want
feedback on whether the compile was successful or not? What mechanism
would you prefer for that?

I quite like the way some terminal programs (xfce4-terminal, for
example) on Linux work, by flashing the non-viewed tab briefly, when
something changes, and then leaving the title text highlighted, or
colour changed, until its clicked on.

Perhaps the (sub?) window title decorator could be changed when
something changes, within that window, until the on-click event is
processed, and have it all conditioned by either selecting "grab focus
on change" or "highlight on change". I guess you might even be able to
open/un-minimise windows without grabbing focus, but I can see that
causing lots of problems if the window happened to end up blocking the
currently selected window and where the current cursor was. A good
example would be the bottom "tasks/commands log/error logs/etc." which I
usually have minimised (I tend to use the green screen to do stuff -
compiles and error checking - and wdsc purely for editing due to using a
free machine on line), if my cursor was at the bottom of the edit screen
then un-minimising that window would block my editing.

Jon