We also have a home made pre compiler to do similar things. But ours is
hooked to a custom compile command which then processes the actual compile
(CRTxxxxx). I always thought hooking the pre compile process into the
command itself by way of a command analyzer exit program would be better.
That way it should fire no matter how the compile is executed.

The only limitation the API documentation for the exit points mentions is
the command may not being used in a program running in system state. The
processing of the command runs through QRSEEXEC in the QDEVTOOLS library.
I don't know why, but a DSPPGM for QRSEEXEC shows Program state as
*SYSTEM. Perhaps Paul's suggestion (see below) to execute the command from
a CL wrapper would alleviate this issue.

I would be very interested to hear what the final resolution to this is.
please post any follow-up details.

Thanks,
Michael Quigley
Computer Services