As we will be installing on more than 50 developer machines shortly, I
turned to this article, hoping it would make my life simpler. However ....

Option 1: Web install
50+ times downloading the same stuff. Probably not a very good idea.

Option 2: Install from zip or DVD
That looks better, but requires each developer to have an IBM id, and the
activation kit needs to be applied to all machines.

Option 3: Install from images on internal file server
Ah nice! Images, fixpacks and activation kit all in one place. But wait
... 'With IBM Installation Manager installed on each developer machine ..'
So now I have to do 50+ installations of Installation Manager before we
can get started?

Option 4: Silent install from images on internal file server
Ok, put on protective clothing and delve into the documentation for
Installation Manager and the 'Silent Installation Roadmap'. Hm, still
needs to have Installation Manager on all developer machines.

Option 5: Install from IBM Packaging Utility repository on internal HTTP
or file server
Right. Now I have to install IBM Installation Manager in order to install
IBM Packaging Utility in order to create an image for IBM Installation
Manager to install the software that I actually want. Stop moaning,
install the thing and get it done! Packaging Utility wants to be pointed
to a 'repository.config'. Great, the images I downloaded for my own web
install contain that, so that should be alright, shouldn't it?. No, it is
not and Packaging Utility won't tell me why. Well, after trying several
combinations of command line parameters, the command line version is kind
enough to tell me that the images which I used to install RDI are not
'install images', but something else. OK, download the install images
through Passport Advantage and try again. Two directories; disk1 and disk
2; Packaging Utility accepts disk1 but not disk 2. Again, without giving
any information. Anyhow, even if it did, we still would need Installation
Manager on the developer machines. Sigh.

There should be a way to install RDI without having to do a separate
install of Installation Manager first, shouldn't there? Ah, the Web
Install! Oh, but then everybody starts downloading the same stuff. (Am I
in a loop, here?) I think we'll settle for option 2.

Joep Beckeringh
Pantheon Automatisering BV

"Edmund Reinhardt" <edmund.reinhardt@xxxxxxxxxx>

30-10-2015 15:31

[WDSCI-L] Options for installing RDi for multiple co-workers

Ken,
If you have multiple coworkers, it might be worth it to download the RDi
images and put them on a network server (if you have that available) to
save everyone doing separate downloads.
The following URL points to a great article Eric wrote, giving you
different options depending on your shop.
http://ibm.biz/rdi_install