On 2/17/2015 2:17 PM, John Yeung wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Time to test. I had a self-induced immolation that ended up with me
deleting every version of WDSC / RDi and re-installing 9.1.1 so I can't
test with WDSC. But I can test it with the Code/400 editor that came
with WDSC v7 (Code/400 v6).

Test conditions:
1) STRSEU, update a line in a source member, save. The member now has
trailing blanks.

OK, makes sense; source members by definition have fixed SRCDTA
length, and thus don't even have a meaningful notion of "trimmed".

2) Open for edit with RDi 9.1.1, press End - cursor goes all the way to
column 101 on my H-specification, which ends at column 41. Close member.

This would be where some people are wanting End to just go to column 42.

3) Open member for edit in Code/400, press End - cursor goes to column
42. Close member.

Fine, this suggests RDi trimmed upon save.

Except I didn't do a Save. Just a close. The object of the test was to
open the same exact member in 3 editors to see how End behaves. No
Saving / altering between Opens.

4) Open member for edit in SEU, press End - cursor goes to column 42.

Here is where you must be careful. How does the End key know where to
go? I don't believe it's a function of SEU.

SEU doesn't see keystrokes. It sees screen buffers. This is the Tao of
5250. :-)

For that matter, I don't
think it's even meaningful from a pure 5250-centric perspective. When
I was cutting my teeth on dumb terminals, there was no "go to end of
line". For that reason, even today (for my 5250 emulator sessions) I
do not have any key mapped to what you describe.

That's a choice. In the IBM emulator, Edit > Preferences > Keyboard...
Customize... Change the base behaviour of End from [newline] to [end
field] and try that.

If you aren't as ancient as I am you may not realise that the 5250
emulator software we're all using today is intended to emulate a
physical keyboard which hasn't existed for decades. You can see them
here:
https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzakc/rzakcmstdfdt.htm
Go to the bottom to see both the data entry keyboard and the typewriter
keyboard. The newline key is the funny one under the huge Field Exit
key on the right side of typewriter keyboard, or immediately to the
right of the P on the data entry keyboard.

Getting back to your point, there was no 'End' function on the original
5250 keyboard, which is why there's no 'End' function as a default
emulated key. Why they chose the PC End key to send a 5250 Newline is
beyond me. The 84 key PC-AT keyboard had End as Shift-Keypad-1 so that
would be goofy as 5250 Newline too.

Having said that, I prefer End to work in a 5250 window as it does
everywhere else. I like Ctrl-Enter for 5250 Newline.