From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:39 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDi 9.1.1 Debug: CRRDG3137E Failed to monitor the given expression.

On 12/19/2014 9:05 AM, Ken Killian wrote:

I was looping through a program in debug mode on our test box, and all of sudden, I cannot a monitor variable...

Message: CRRDG3137E Failed to monitor the given expression.

-snip-

Any ideas? Has anyone else ran into this...

Ken, I hate to reply because so many of my replies are the same :-( I haven't seen this one. It's almost certainly a difference in the way we work. RDi is designed to let people work differently from one another, so this is a good thing!

When I debug, I pretty much clear all my breakpoints and monitors from previous debug sessions. Say I'm working on stored procedures for the web guys. I might have 5 editor tabs open and I'm getting a stubborn issue with a UDTF and a stored procedure, both written in RPGLE. I'll fire up the SEP debugger and clear all breakpoints and monitors and then run the SQL that invokes the executables. I'll add breakpoints and monitors as needed.

Very, very rarely, a trouble ticket comes in and I need to switch gears and work on something else that's urgent, say cash receipts :-). I'll open the C/R programs in the editor, start SEP debugging on them and add some more breakpoints and monitors as needed. Now I have maybe 10 breakpoints and 10 monitors across the two applications.

When I go back to the web stuff, I'll delete the breakpoints and monitors for the C/R application, because I pretty much don't need them anymore. That's a lot of words to ask: Do you have a LOT of monitors?

Another difference: I never debug a currently running program. I start the SEP and then call the program.

--
--buck

'I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion' - Jack Kerouac