On 15-Jan-2014 13:39 -0800, thomas.raddatz@xxxxxx wrote:
Just another side note. When EVFEVENT is created by the RPG compiler,
it has the following format:

Field Type Length Length Position Usage
EVFEVENT CHAR 300 300 1 Both
Coded Character Set Identifier . . . . . : 65535

It contains, for module KS001:

....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+
TIMESTAMP 0 20140115223542
PROCESSOR 0 000 1
FILEID 0 001 000000 020 KS01TS0Z/QSRC(KS001) 20131210104736 0

Apparently, created via CRTPF RCDLEN(300). Consistent with my file. A CPYSRCF request for which that file is named as the FROMFILE(), will properly fail with the msg CPF2801.

But it also works, when I create it by hand:

CRTSRCPF FILE(KS01TS0O/EVFEVENT) RCDLEN(312)

After having compiled a module, member KS001 contains:

SRCSEQ SRCDAT SRCDTA
3,945.23 147,000 20140115223725
7,963.52 269,000 000 1
6,935.94 0 001 000000 020 KS01TS0Z/QSRC(KS001) 20131210104736 0

I could never be convinced that the feature, after having opened the file as program-described [with an effective assumption the data layout matches a PF-DTA created with CRTPF RCDLEN(3xx)] and thus having written text data into the source-sequence and source-date numeric data-typed columns, could be considered to be functional; i.e. in no way, IMO, does that effect qualify as having "worked".

<<SNIP>> Maybe that RDi does not always check the format of EVFEVENT
and hence sometimes uses a wrong command.

Seems that likely... Either the logic in the RDi is flawed in some manner that the CPYSRCF command is incorrectly being chosen [instead of the CPYF command I presume], or the method that the RDi uses to determine which command to use is flawed in a manner whereby the wrong File Type is returned to RDi as the invoker. In the latter case, the RDi could be functioning properly, but acting according to the prior incorrect output; i.e. acting on bad information.