Follow up.

I changed the "default transfer type for .xml docs" from text to binary.
Now the file has been translated correctly - on the IFS - to UTF-8.

Now, instead of more "live parsing" which is really neat but not very
helpful if the cursor keeps hanging and hanging, it would be nice for IBM
to squash some bugs (like selecting all text sometimes which is in there
for more than 10 years already), or a nice feature (it's RD... for "i"
therefore you pay 800 bucks) it would read the CCSID setting on the IFS.
But that isn;t a nice feature to show off on some demo i suppose.

End of ranting. Sorry about that,.