I am really trying to use RDI, but I need to continue to use some of my old methods. such as fixed format.

I want to do a block copy, such as pasting rows of values into factor one.

I have changed the lpex editor using windows, preferences, lpex, block.

I have been able to select a block and cut it. What I cannot do is paste into a block copied from somewhere other than RDI.

I have a bunch of statements:

Eval newfield1 = oldfield1
eval newfield2 = oldfield2

and so on for 10 lines.

I can cut a block of 10 oldfields just fine.

Then I go to a green screen and copy 10 names in a column. When I paste them, the first oldfield is in the correct position, but the next one gets pasted in column 1 of the following line, which it creates. then a new line and the 3rd field is in position 1, and so on for 9 lines.
So I get the first line pasted correctly, 9 extra lines inserted with a field name in columns 1 to 6(which overlays the C and gives form type error).

If I paste into windows notepad, they paste into a column.

What am I missing ? Do I have to create a rectangle to paste into?

I have tried alt Z and I can get that to work if I copy the block of data from within RDI. The data I want is not always available within RDI when I switch between old and new methods.

---Dale