Geez, you should have entered the RFE with that kind of detailed knowledge of the issue!

Thanks for the feedback, Edmund.

-Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edmund Reinhardt
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:11 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Cc: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] New RFE - Live Outline & Copybooks

Hi Kurt,
I spent some time looking into this problem.
There are two kinds of updates to the outline view.
A Refresh update (which is also done at load time) will go out and retrieve external database info from the host A keystroke update can't afford to do that since we don't want to slow down your typing. Of course we don't want to lose the information that you got from the host before either. So we look at our parse tree from before and if we can match the previous data structure or file that has external information we copy it into the new tree.
The problem you were seeing was that our algorithm for determining if the data structure has changed, was too conservative, causing it to consider a data structure as changed, even if it just moved further down in the source. (By the way the fact that it was in a copybook did not matter, even moving the copy statement down was considered a change).

After some in depth analysis, I concluded that the right way to fix this was to keep track of the external file, record, field definitions independently of the RPG file, and data structures they become. So we will no longer be dependent on looking for matching data structures, or files which is always going to be a guess, but we can key on the actual external file names.
In this way, you can continue to use the external information even if you change an ALIAS. PREFIX, EXFMT, RENAME, IGNORE, INCLUDE, etc. keyword that will rename or subset this information when bringing it into the RPG name space.
You can even code new data structures and files that reference these external files and have the information available to you.

I believe this will be a much better algorithm and provide a much more usable experience.

For others listening in please vote for the RFE, as I would like to get this enhancement in. I put this note into the RFE response as well, to document the plan to address this.

Regards,

Edmund (E.H.) Reinhardt
COBOL IDE on AIX, DDS, WebFacing, System i Application Development, Rational Developer for Power

2D barcode Phone: 1-905-413-3125 | Phone: 1-905-854-6195 IBM
- encoded E-mail: edmund.reinhardt@xxxxxxxxxx
with AIX COBOL: 8200 Warden Ave
contact www.youtube.com/user/IBMRational#g/c/62DF24D5BCD43501 Markham, ON L6G 1C7
information "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of Canada
God in Christ Jesus concerning you." - 1
Thessalonians 5:18