From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Bipes
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:40 AM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Telnet session is broken.

The problem I had with telnet sessions dropping during VPN was a state full firewall that was part of the VPN client and a policy that was pushed from the VPN server not allowing you to connect if your VPN client firewall was not enabled. This blocked the probe from the iSeries telnet server to see if the session was still alive. The telnet server idle timeout is what triggers these probes.

Now if your client provides the keep a live packet during idle time, the telnet server will not send it's probe and your sessions will not timeout and disconnect.

Find you .ws file and add the following line to the file: KeepAlive=Y to activate the feature.

Here is a link to an article by Tom Van Looy on the Four Hundred Guru http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg061108-story01.html

--
Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services