Every year I go through the travail of renewing SWMA on what I have now been told by my IBM sales rep is RDG (true?). I am on the developer discount program so I know that it doesn't follow the usual path these renewals go through for *normal* customers but this last round of SWMA pricing has left me baffled. Here is what the quote said:

HARDWARE & SOFTWARE

LIST PRICE

Developer Purchase Price

5661-RDP -- 1-Year After License Fee for 5733-RDP/5733-RDG (Purchase Only, No Discount)

$548.00

$548.00

No discount (which is irritating). But even more amazing is that the (ir)-Rational site says that a *new* license with 1 year of support is $416! I don't get why I would pay *more* for a product I own and want to renew on a supposed *discount* program than I would pay retail. Check out the RDP pricing here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/products/rdp/ (note the "Buy Now" price of $416.00 and even take a look at ALL the pricing by clicking on the "Ready to Buy" button).

The text on the following page has this desciption:

IBM Rational Developer for Power System RPG and COBOL Development Tools for i Authorized User Initial Fixed Term License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0LJVLL) $416.00. Isn't that the same product as I have listed in my SWMA renewal? What am I missing?

I blogged about it here: http://www.petesworkshop.com/blog_wp/?p=127