On 2/9/2011 12:54 PM, Kurt Anderson wrote:

I was just in a meeting, and there was a discussion about some expenses that had been cut. I was told (in a semi-jokingly manner) that the only reason I got RDp was because it was a Christmas gift. This is the perception of the new licensing - a new cost above and beyond what was being paid before. A new expense.

I want to echo what Jim Franz asked for - a PDF (or document of some sort) that _shows_ how the new licensing saves companies money. My feeling is that my small company isn't actually saving any money with the new licensing, although there may be a way we could. If there was a document that laid out how the "idea is to save you money" works and can be taken advantage of, it might not be so rough on the RPG developers of the world to get their hands on the wonderful tool known as RDp (well, known as RDp to this list anyway).

It will cost me cash money to move from WDSC 7.0.0.8 to RDp. I can move
from WDSC to SEU 7.1 without spending cash because of my entitlements.
Don't look for a pdf describing your savings, I don't think there's a
scenario that fits us. At least I haven't come across it yet.

I'm selling my management on a simple price shuffling, where Rational
and IBM are allocating product costs where they belong rather than bury
them elsewhere.

If Rational sees a revenue stream from IBM i customers, that has to be a
good thing versus us being an anonymous aggregate.
--buck