Dale,

I'll look into it more when I have a little more time, but maybe I'm
looking in the wrong direction. What is your current library? The
current library can be set on the connection properties or in your user
profile. For the search function, the event file is created in your
current library. So the current library used will need to be one to which
you have authority to add files.

First, check the connection properties: (These instructions are for WDSC
7.0. I don't know if things have changed a little in
-In the RSE view, right-click on the connection and select properties;
-On the left-hand side of the properties window, click on Subsystems;
-On the right-hand side there should be a iSeries Commands tab, click it;
-Toward the bottom, there is an entry to specify the Current library. Mine
is generally '*USRPRF'

If the connection is *USRPRF, you'll need to change it to a library where
you can add and update files. (Programmers here only have *USE authority
to QSYS.)

I'm not sure what the problem would be for compiling in batch. Even if
you've opened the source through a filter which cross multiple libraries,
the event file is supposed to be created in the library where the program
or module will be stored. Again, if I get some more time and think of
something else, I'll let you know.

Michael