Hi Vern,

You are right, the fields parameter has to do with column-sensitive
editing.
The tab stops are set via the tabs parameter.

I see what you mean
The tab stops are set intelligently based on the contents of the DDS line
If you do a query tabs on the different lines, you will see the following
values.
I.e.
For a keyword line it is
1 7 8 45 81 102
For a record line it is
1 7 17 19 45 81 102
For a field line it is
1 7 8 19 29 30 35 36 38 39 42 45 81 102
For a comment line it is
1 7 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 102

Since the tab stops are being dynamically changed every time you change a
line, then merely doing a
"set tabs" will only take effect while cursor is on this line.

I see the frustration you might have if you wanted to enter a field and you
just got the keyword tab stops.
It would be an improvement if blank lines got the Record line tab stops by
default.

What I suggest to do is to open the Source Prompter view (Window->Show
View->Other->IBM i->Source Prompter)
This will help you fill in your field spec without needing to even know
which column belongs to what attribute of a field.

Hope this helps.

What RDp does have is a visual designer for DSPF./PRTF so you can click and
drag to create fields instead of typing.

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|25/08/2010 05:25 PM |
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
|Re: [WDSCI-L] Tab Stops for DDS on 7.0 |
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>
|wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx |

Edmund

Have you actually tried this in DDS source? I did, and it didn't seem to
work. With "column sensitive editing" turned off, it still tabbed to the
columns as they should be for the record type - only 4 places for record
row, many more for field entries. This was in RDp 7.6.

Confused am I!!

Vern

On 8/25/2010 10:40 AM, Edmund Reinhardt wrote:
Mike,
Before you give up
LPEX is a very progammable editor
If you are in the Lpex editor you can hit escape to go to the command
line
query fields
will tell you what the current tab stops are
set fields<tabstop1> <tabstop2>
will let you update the tabstops

I hope this helps.

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Mike<koldark@xxxxxxxxx>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| To: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i& iSeries"<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Re: [WDSCI-L] Tab Stops for DDS on 7.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Guess it's time to switch to DDL then.:-)

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.info

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Bryce Martin<BMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In WDSC 7.0 there is not a way to set tab stops for DDS. Look under
Window -> Preferences -> Remote Systems ->Remote Systems LPEX Editor
->iSeries Parsers.

You will see a list of parsers for C/C++, CL, COBOL, DDS, ILE RPG,
RPG/400.

C/C++ only use Template, and DDS only has two check boxes for automatic
syntax checking and automatic uppercase. All the others can have User
Defined Tabs. DDS is out of luck.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Mike<koldark@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/25/2010 01:02 AM
Please respond to
Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for
System i& iSeries<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[WDSCI-L] Tab Stops for DDS on 7.0

Is there a way to set tab stops for DDS source in WDSc 7.0? It gets
annoying
when I type A then hit tab and it goes to the function column.

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.info,

--- This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the
use
information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential,

and

recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us and

destroy

this message immediately. ---

at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l..