David FOXWELL wrote:
Buck, do you mean you can edit the same source in different places at the same time?
I don't think I have this in WDSc V6.

Yes, that is what I mean and I forgot you are still on WDSC 6. I can't
urge you enough to install WDSC 7. It is free (as in you already paid
for it) and does not affect your software licence or annual maintenance
costs. Best of all, 7.0 is way more stable than 6.x.

Having dual monitors helps a lot with this sort of view!
This is interesting as next year, our users get dual monitors. But I don't think the IT staff will.
How would you get one view to show on one monitor and another on a second monitor.

Just grab the edge of the window and drag it over to the other monitor.
The edit panels basically extend across both monitors at the same time.

I myself use either a template which can prompt you for
certain information or CTRL-C/CTRL-V.

What do you mean, exactly?

It's been so very long since I had 6.0 installed so I cannot remember if
you have templates / snippets available or not. Try to open a Snippets
view. In 7.0 One can create a snippet of the form

* Modification by ${programmer} for project ${project} on ${date}

where one can set up ${programmer} with a default value that is filled
in when one clicks on the snippet.

The other method which I jumbled together in that earlier sentence is to
use Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V. I type the very first mod comment by hand, then
highlight it and use Ctrl-C to copy it into the 'copy/paste buffer.' I
then use Ctrl-V to paste it into my code every place I need it. That's
not so convenient when I need to use copy/paste for the actual code I'm
modifying, because the copy/paste buffer can only hold one thing at a
time. So I get to choose whether to 'remember' my modification comment,
or my code.

One way round this in SEU is to declare the modification line as a
Skeleton. Put an 'S' in the sequence number field, position the cursor
somewhere in the comment line and press Enter. From that point, type
'IS' (insert skeleton) in the sequence number field and the skeleton
line is inserted and your cursor positioned where it was when you set up
the skeleton line.

This functionality is a little odd in WDSC, but it does mostly work. If
that isn't quite your cup of tea, you can still use Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V for
your code and SEU C / B for your comment lines.

I wouldn't consider any of these methods to be right or wrong; only
alternatives.
--buck