John

This is where Linoma's product shines - it changes MOVEs to EVALs - always has - and that makes going to free form pretty painless. I've not seen its conversion to free-form, but I have to believe it is similarly more functional.

This is kind of frustrating - most MOVE operations are pretty easily replaced with some kind of EVAL - IBM know best what these can be. Wish they'd done more with the wizard.

Another item that does not convert is regular CALLs - these work nicely as CALLP, but you have to have a prototype. That information to use for creating that prototype is not always available directly in RPG source, I believe. So it'd take finding the actual program, maybe, and extracting from its body the parameter data types. Or prompt us for those values. Now that'd be a huge help.

OTOH, it's only slightly inconvenient to change MOVEs to EVALs - one can even record a keyboard macro sequence for it to handle many situations. Or one could write a plugin, maybe. Perhaps one should change the ones that present difficulty, before running the wizard. And in earlier releases of the OS, one can't use free-form SQL. So be sure to select the portion you want converted.

I recommend finding an example without CALLs and only simple MOVEs - we now have EVAL and EVALR, so both kinds of MOVEs work. Z-ADD also does not convert. Change those to EVAls, then convert. That will look lots better.

JMHO
Vern

John wrote:
I tried RDI 7.5 conversion to free the other day, converting a recently
written program from a developer stuck in the rpg II mindset : the result
giving no improvement in readability. Converted source bounced in and out of
/free and fixed format. ( Mainly because of the move op code). Result was
less readable. I ended up keeping it fixed format.