wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/30/2008 01:00:02 PM:

----- Message from Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 30
Oct 2008 10:59:02 -0500 -----
There ought to be an upgrade price from a licensed seat of RDi to a
licensed seat of RDi-SOA, and it ought to be $1200, but I don't think
they've gotten that far.

Here's my understanding. It may not be entirely accurate. This is based
on all my efforts to upgrade our old V6-based entitlements of RBDe
(Rational Business Developer Extension) to RDi-SOA. (I worked with Todd
Britton, IBM Rational Director of Products & Strategy, Enterprise Tools &
Compilers and George Farr--we all know and love Mr. Farr.) If you have
RDi, you can buy RBD and effectively have RDi-SOA--if I understand the
packaging correctly, that's what they'll ship to you for RDi-SOA: RDi and
RBD. The only rub is that RBD is a $3000 package. We could have
maintained our RBDe entitlements by paying the annual support and
maintenance of $600 per year each. However, I think management would have
us convert everything to MS before we would pay that much to support a
product which IBM is marketing as new. Don't get me wrong, I loved
working in EGL and I'm aware that its roots go back years-and-years. But
$600 x developer x years gets awfully expensive when you've got to pay the
annual SWMA on RDi as well.

IBM marketing is often more than a little perplexing.