From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Rosinger
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:57 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] how to report problems with Quantum DB plug-in?

List,

I am testing the Quantum DB plug-in. I was hoping I could use it as a query
tool for the rest of the development staff but I have stumbled across a
problem that is a show-stopper (for our shop at least).

We have several tables that have DATE columns that contain a value of
"1000-01-01". The database was originally a DB2/VSE mainframe database but
we migrated to system i about 2 years ago. The intent was to provide a "low
date" for sort/comparison logic and avoid a NULL value. Right or wrong it is
still a valid date as far as DB2 is concerned.

When a query is executed in Quantum and one of the rows in the result set
has a DATE column with the "1000-01-01" value, you get the error message,
"SQL0181 Value in date, time or timestamp string not valid." and the query
fails.

I think part of the problem is that Quantum is defaulting to date format
MM/DD/YY and is failing when converting the format. We use the ISO date
format in all of our tables. I tried executing the SET OPTION DATFMT = *ISO
statement but Quantum rejects the statement.

I posted this on the SourceForge list for bugs, but I am not so sure that
list is being monitored. Is there another (better) way to report this
problem?

Can anyone suggest a circumvention for this problem? If there isn't one the
Quantum tool is useless to us (for now at least) and that is unfortunate
because I think it is really nice and was enjoying using it.

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger
Systems Programmer / DBA